1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- 28M Weekend, 122M Total
Even if you buy into a large tumble for the Ninja Turtles, they’re gonna win the weekend. I know, I made it sound like this was a weekend where anyone could sneak in, but it’s not. The Turtles are most likely going to win this race, but competition for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th is going to be really tight.
2) The Expendables 3- 24M Weekend, 24M Total
The first one opened to 34M, the second opened to 28M, and another dip is likely. There’s still a good amount of hype around this, helped by the addition of several well known actors, including Antonio Banderas and Wesley Snipes. Reviews won’t matter, as this is not the type of film that reviews well anyway.
3) Lets Be Cops- 22M Weekend, 30M Total
With strong late night grosses on Tuesday, and a decent Wednesday, Lets Be Cops could be a sleeper hit this summer. It’ll be neck and neck with Guardians though.
4) Guardians Of The Galaxy- 21M Weekend, 221M Total
Another 50% drop is likely, but Guardians is probably hitting 200M today, so that’s another milestone gone.
5) The Giver- 18M Weekend, 18M Total
The Giver has the best reviews of the three new releases, which could translate into some money for the underdog of the bunch. Hopefully it won’t be left out in the cold like The Mortal Instruments was last year.
6) Into The Storm- 8M Weekend, 33M Total
Look for a 60% dive. Expendables, Lets Be Cops, and The Giver could all pull from this audience.
7) The Hundred Foot Journey- 6M Weekend, 24M Total
None of the new releases could be considered direct competition. It might only drop 45% this week.
8) Lucy- 4.5M Weekend, 107.5M Total
Lucy will drop another 50%.
9) Step Up All In- 3M Weekend, 13M Total
Step Up will likely drop over 50%, but might stay in the Top 10.
10) What If- 3M Weekend, 3.2M Total
I’m going to make a bold prediction, and say that What If does well in its expansion, and somehow cracks the Top 10. There are a bunch of movies that are going to do about 3M this weekend, including Hercules and Get On Up, either of which could swap in for this 10th place spot if it doesn’t go well for What If.