1) Gone Girl- 40M Weekend, 40M Total
The anticipation for Gone Girl is at a fever pitch. Normally movies like this don’t open very big, but Gone Girl will prove to be an exception. It’s also the movie that you don’t want spoiled for you, so you’ll rush out and see it before anyone can. There isn’t anything really to compare it to, except last years Gravity, which blew away all expectations. Gone Girl will follow in those footsteps.
2) Annabelle- 22M Weekend, 22M Total
The Conjuring spinoff should do OK this weekend.
3) The Equalizer- 17M Weekend, 63M Total
4) The Maze Runner- 11M Weekend, 73M Total
5) The Boxtrolls- 11M Weekend, 31M Total
6) Left Behind- 6M Weekend, 6M Total
Nicolas Cage is not exactly a box office draw anymore. This is an old brand. It’s possible that Christians could show up in droves, the way they did for Fireproof, but it’s more likely that they stay away. A lot of Christians are angry at the casting of Nicolas Cage. A lot of non-christians are too…
7) This Is Where I Leave You- 4.5M Weekend, 30M Total
8) The Good Lie- 2.5M Weekend, 2.5M Total
Opening in 450 screens, it should be enough to break into the Top 10.
9) Dolphin Tale 2- 2.5M Weekend, 36M Total
10) No Good Deed- 2M Weekend, 49M Total