Jennifer Lawrence is about to set the world on fire. Considering how slumped the box office has been lately, save a few films, Hunger Games looks to serve as a jolt of energy a few days before The Good Dinosaur and Creed join the foray. Hunger Games should have no problem posting big numbers, which will hamper Spectre and Peanuts a bit. The Night Before is targeting a completely different audience, and it should have no problem reaching the demo. Both films are currently positive on Rotten Tomatoes.
Despite what you have may seen, The Secret In Their Eyes is not a beloved critical success. Sitting at 40$, the Julia Roberts/Nicole Kidman thriller is facing the same fate a lot of other star studded adult films have faced in the past few weeks. Much like Our Brand Is Crisis, Burnt, Rock The Kasbah, and Steve Jobs, the audiences just aren’t there. Even with two big stars, Secret won’t find 10M this weekend.
What should do well is Spotlight, which is rumored to be expanding into 400-600 screens this weekend, which should help it crack the Top 10. It almost did it last weekend on only 60 screens, so a couple hundred should definitely do the trick.
1) Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt 2- 130M Weekend, 130M Total
2) Spectre- 18M Weekend, 158M Total
3) The Night Before- 17M Weekend, 17M Total
4) Peanuts- 14M Weekend, 100M Total
5) The Secret In Their Eyes- 8M Weekend, 8M total
6) Love The Coopers- 5M Weekend, 17M Total
7) The Martian- 4.5M Weekend, 214M Total
8) Spotlight- 4M Weekend, 6M Total
9) The 33- 3M Weekend, 10M Total
10) Bridge Of Spies- 3M Weekend, 66M Total