Spectre led three new wide releases, and a random Bollywood entry, and Peanuts did some nice cleanup in second. Spectre dropped 49%, which is really solid. Peanuts dropped only 45%, which is even more solid. Not quite The Martian, which only dropped 25%, which was the best hold in the Top 10. Love The Coopers was the best debut, hitting 3rd place, and a better per screen than both The 33 and My All American. American couldn’t even open in the top 10, landing in 12th with a sad per screen of $889. That per screen is actually less than The Intern, which has been in theatres forever. In limited release, Oscar bait movies seem to be doing quite well. In fact, Spotlight almost cracked the top 10 in only 61 locations. Spotlight carried an impressive per screen of $22,925 in its second weekend.
Other Oscar hopefuls had strong per screens, notably Brooklyn (21K), Trumbo (7K), and Room (4K). By The Sea started with a 9K per screen, but for a Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie vehicle, that number should have been a lot higher. The film has been bogged down with poor reviews, and in a season with plenty of Oscar hopefuls to choose from, ticket buyers are being a bit more discretionary with their funds.
Next weekend, the game changes when The Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt 2 opens along with The Night Before and The Secret In Their Eyes. Expect a lot of weak holdovers to lose their screens, notably The Last Witch Hunter, The Intern, Burnt, My All American, and Hotel Transylvania 2.
1) Spectre- 35.4M Weekend, 130.7M Total
2) Peanuts- 24.2M Weekend, 82.4M Total
3) Love The Coopers- 8.4M Weekend, 8.4M Total
4) The Martian- 6.7M Weekend, 207.4M Total
5) The 33- 5.8M Weekend, 5.8M Total
6) Goosebumps- 4.6M Weekend, 73.4M Total
7) Bridge Of Spies- 4.2M Weekend, 61.6M Total
8) Prem Ratan Dhan Payo- 2.4M Weekend, 2.4M Total
9) Hotel Transylvania 2- 2.3M Weekend, 165.2M Total
10) The Last Witch Hunter- 1.5M Weekend, 26M Total
11) Spotlight- 1.3M Weekend, 1.8M Total
12) My All American- 1.3M Weekend, 1.3M Total
13) The Intern- 1.2M Weekend, 73.3M Total
14) Burnt- 1.1M Weekend, 12.7M Total
15) Suffragette- 1M Weekend, 2.5M Total
19) Room- 578K Weekend, 2.2M Total
20) Brooklyn- 485K Weekend, 832K Total
24) Miss You Already- 196K Weekend, 1M Total
28) Truth- 157K Weekend, 2.2M Total
30) Trumbo- 141K Weekend, 247K Total
31) By The Sea- 95K Weekend, 95K Total