1) How To Train Your Dragon 2- 70M Opening Weekend, 70M Total
Dreamworks Animation unleashes How To Train Your Dragon 2 this weekend, and audiences are excited. The film has an excellent Rotten Tomatoes score (93%!). The first one only opened to 43M, but held well and wound up with 217M domestically and 494M Worldwide. There’s huge room for growth here as kids are out from school, and the only family film in the marketplace is Maleficent. There are no animation films, other than a few theatres keeping Rio 2 until this weekend. There will be growth with this sequel.
2) 22 Jump Street- 50M Opening Weekend, 50M Total
Another film looking to make a substantial growth is the buzzy 22 Jump Street, which has been trending very well over social media. The original opened (during the spring) to 36M and ended with 138M domestic and 201M worldwide. It opened internationally last weekend in a few countries and is already tracking ahead of the original. Plus with a very strong 86% on Rotten Tomatoes, critical support is there… which is rare for a comedy sequel. Expect big things.
3) The Fault In Our Stars- 20M Weekend, 86M Total
A 55% drop is likely this weekend. The film is well reviewed, but it’s likely a lot of people showed up the first weekend. Still, with films of this type, repeat viewings can also be a factor. Teen girls have been known to go see movies 4,5,6 times in theatres.
4) Maleficent- 18M Weekend, 163M Total
Disney’s Maleficent dipped 50% last weekend, and will see a slightly softer dip (probably 48%) this weekend. Even with How To Train Your Dragon entering the marketplace, with all of the kids out of school, there’s enough room for two competing family films.
5) Edge Of Tomorrow- 14M Weekend, 55M Total
A solid 50% drop (which isn’t bad considering the other action movies this summer) would give Edge another 14M.
6) X-Men: Days Of Future Past- 7M Weekend, 203M Total
X-Men will cross the 200M mark this weekend.
7) A Million Ways To Die In The West- 3.5M Weekend, 38M Total
8) Godzilla- 3M Weekend, 191M Total
MOVIE REVIEW: Godzilla
9) Neighbors- 3M Weekend, 144M Total
MOVIE REVIEW: Neighbors
10) Blended- 2M Weekend, 40M Total
11) Chef- 2M Weekend, 13M Total
12) Million Dollar Arm- 1.5M Weekend, 33M Total
MOVIE REVIEW: Million Dollar Arm