1) Transformers 4- 100M Weekend, 100M Total
Transformers will likely make more on Friday than any other film in the Top 10 will the entire weekend. That’s just a fact. Transformers is opening, essentially, unopposed. The last Transformers opened to 97M. This one has gained new interest with Mark Wahlberg attached, and arguably has even less competition. Even with franchise fatigue, it should still make about 100M this weekend, leading into what will be a very profitable July 4th.
2) 22 Jump Street- 15M Weekend, 141M Total
Another 50% dip would put the Channing Tatum/Jonah Hill buddy comedy at 14M. I’m thinking Kevin Hart’s pic has a harder drop, and 22 Jump Street should move into 2nd place. It has held up much better mid-week, and that should translate into the weekend.
3) How To Train Your Dragon 2- 14M Weekend, 124M Total
The Dreamworks sequel has also held up much better over the weekday frame, and that could translate into it also moving ahead of Kevin Hart’s comedy, which is looking to tumble.
4) Think Like A Man Too- 12M Weekend, 51M Total
A 60% dive to around 12M is likely, based on how it has been steadily losing ground since opening.
5) Maleficent- 9M Weekend, 202M Total
Maleficent should crack 200M this weekend. It will be the first live action Angelina Jolie film to do so. If the film passes 215M (which it will), it will become Jolie’s highest grossing domestic release.
6) Jersey Boys- 8M Weekend, 28M Total
Off to a slow start, but shouldn’t dip 50% due to successful counter programming to everything else in release.
7) Edge Of Tomorrow- 6M Weekend, 85M Total
8) The Fault In Our Stars- 5M Weekend, 110M Total
9) X-Men: Days Of Future Past- 3M Weekend, 223M Total
10) Chef- 1M Weekend, 19M Total