1) The Equalizer- 35M Weekend, 35M Total
Reviews have been pretty good, and Fandango claims this is selling faster than Safe House, which opened to 40M. Add in the fact that this is opening in IMAX, which is a boost to ticket prices, then we should be seeing a rather uncharacteristic number for September. 35 million sounds about right. Denzel is one of the most bankable actors around. He hasn’t had a wide release below 20 million since The Great Debaters in 2007, and before that it was Out Of Time in 2003. He consistently hits 20M, and has broken 30M three times since 2007. The studio is banking hard on this, and a sequel is already in pre-production.
2) The Maze Runner- 18M Weekend, 58M Total
A decent fall could be in store, but The Maze Runner is still likely to finish 2nd.
3) The Boxtrolls- 14M Weekend, 14M Total
Stop-motion animation doesn’t really light fire at the box office. The Boxtrolls is likely to do about the same as ParaNorman and Coraline, even though it has very little competition.
4) A Walk Among The Tombstones- 7M Weekend, 24M Total
5) This Is Where I Leave You- 6.5M Weekend, 22M Total
6) No Good Deed- 5.5M Weekend, 47M Total
7) Dolphin Tale 2- 5M Weekend, 33M Total
8) Guardians Of The Galaxy- 4M Weekend, 319M Total
9) Lets Be Cops- 1.5M Weekend, 79M Total
10) The Song- 1.5M Weekend, 1.5M Total
A christian movie about country singers could do OK business. It’s opening about the same time that Fireproof and Courageous did really good business. On 300 screens, The Song might do enough to round out the Top 10.