I guess people weren’t that excited for Ted 2. The sequel pulled in only 33M this weekend, down about 20M from the original a few years ago. It lost to Jurassic World, which became the fifth film of all time to cross the 500M mark. It now has its eyes set on The Dark Knight, which it should pass easily, to become the 4th highest grossing film of all time. It’s got a long way to go to #1 if it plans on beating Avatar. 760.5M. Jurassic World did drop only 49%, which is really impressive considering the numbers it is pulling in. This is clearly a must-see film that has people going multiple times.
Inside Out is still a crowdpleaser, dipping only 42% in week two. Ted 2 landed a B+ cinemascore, suggesting it might not have the smoothest ride to 100M. Spy debuted with about the same box office and still hasn’t made it to 100. Max, however, got an A cinemascore, so it’s likely we’ll see more of Max in the coming weeks. Max could easily triple its opening weekend gross and get near 40M.
Next weekend, Terminator Genisys and Magic Mike XXL look to topple the juggernaut that is Jurassic World.
1) Jurassic World- 54.2M Weekend, 500.1M Total
2) Inside Out- 52.1M Weekend, 184.9M Total
3) Ted 2- 33.0M Weekend, 33.0M Total
4) Max- 12.2M Weekend, 12.2M Total
5) Spy- 7.8M Weekend, 88.3M Total
6) San Andreas- 5.2M Weekend, 141.8M Total
7) Dope- 2.8M Weekend, 11.7M Total
8) Insidious Chapter 3- 2.0M Weekend, 49.8M Total
9) Mad Max: Fury Road- 1.7M Weekend, 147.0M Total
10) Avengers: Age Of Ultron- 1.6M Weekend, 452.4M Total
11) Pitch Perfect 2- 1.4M Weekend, 180.9M Total
12) Love and Mercy- 1.3M Weekend, 9.2M Total
??) Me Earl and the Dying Girl- 992K Weekend, 1.8M Total
??) Tomorrowland- 965K Weekend, 90.0M Total
??) Entourage- 805K Weekend, 31.3M Total
??) I’ll See You In My Dreams- 582K Weekend, 5M Total
??) Far From The Madding Crowd- 160K Weekend, 11.6M Total
??) Infinitely Polar Bear- 69K Weekend, 133K Total
??) Batkid Begins- 23K Weekend, 23K Total
??) Big Game- 14K Weekend, 14K Total