It is only opening on 4 screens. There’s just no way. The only film really changing the game this week is The Hateful Eight, which expands into over 2400 runs following a successful limited run last weekend. New Years Eve is a traditionally slow movie watching day, and that happens to be our Friday. It is almost promptly cancelled by New Year’s Day being on Saturday, so our weekend should be fairly balanced. Still, expect some drops this weekend.
Star Wars should be in striking distance of Avatar by Sunday, if not possibly even a little ahead. My guess is that it will be slightly under, passing Avatar probably on January 3rd. Not bad, considering it is setting the record for highest grossing film of all time. Maybe it CAN hit a billion. It looks like, even though it won’t be in the Top 10 next week, Creed should creep across the 100M mark by Sunday.
1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens- 90M Weekend, 750M Total
2) Daddy’s Home- 22M Weekend, 85M Total
3) The Hateful Eight- 15M Weekend, 27M Total
4) Joy- 13M Weekend, 40M Total
5) Sisters- 10.5M Weekend, 59M Total
6) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip- 9.5M Weekend
7) The Big Short- 6.5M Weekend, 30M Total
8) Concussion- 6.5M Weekend, 25M Total
9) Point Break- 5M Weekend, 19M Total
10) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt 2- 3.5M Weekend, 272M Total