The Turtles are back. The first film was a bit of a surprise, managing 191M. The sequel could go bigger, as fans are already excited for the big screen debuts of Bebop and Rocksteady (and Krang). Reviews won’t factor in, but if the film is actually truly awful it will affect word of mouth. I’m betting it opens big, but below the 65M opening of the original.
X-Men Apocalypse will dip over 50% this weekend, as will Alice Through The Looking Glass. Me Before You is hoping that the lack of romantic chick flicks in the marketplace will turn some eyes, even though the two stars are not matinee idols yet. And Popstar is bound to disappoint, if the debut of Neighbors 2 wasn’t disconcerting enough. Andy Samberg is just not a bankable force yet. What might help Popstar is that it does have the highest RT score right now at 88%. Good reviews didn’t help The Nice Guys, nor did it save Keanu (which is the closest comparison right now to Popstar).
1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2- 55M Weekend, 55M Total
2) X-Men: Apocalypse- 30M Weekend, 120M Total
3) Alice Through The Looking Glass- 15M Weekend, 55M Total
4) Me Before You- 13M Weekend, 13M Total
5) Angry Birds Movie- 12M Weekend, 90M Total
6) Captain America: Civil War- 10M Weekend, 390M Total
7) Popstar- 9M Weekend, 9M Total
8) Neighbors 2- 6M Weekend, 48M Total
9) The Jungle Book- 5M Weekend, 347M Total
10) The Nice Guys- 4M Weekend, 28M Total