Even though it might be the top destination choice for Valentine’s Day, Fifty Shades Darker is not expected to win this weekend. That could be a surprise, considering the original set the record (then) for biggest February opener, which would later be beaten by Deadpool. Both Lego Batman and John Wick 2 have the support of the critics (so far), and Fifty Shades Darker isn’t expected to have that benefit. The big question is, how many people still love the Fifty Shades franchise enough to go see it this weekend as their first choice? Or, is that audience waiting for Valentine’s Day?
Lego Batman is expected to win this weekend. The Lego Movie opened to 69M, and Batman will come close to that, but John Wick 2 and Fifty Shades Darker are going to steal just a tiny bit of its thunder. The good news for John Wick 2, is that the sequel is expected to open above the original, which made 14.4M.
1) Lego Batman- 65M Weekend, 65M Total
2) Fifty Shades Darker- 32M Weekend, 32M Total
3) John Wick 2- 20M Weekend, 20M Total
4) Split- 8M Weekend, 112M Total
5) Rings- 6M Weekend, 22M Total
6) A Dog’s Purpose- 6M Weekend, 42M Total
7) Hidden Figures- 6M Weekend, 129M Total
8) La La Land- 4.5M Weekend, 126M Total
9) Sing- 2.5M Weekend, 266M Total
10) Resident Evil: The Final Chapter- 2M Weekend, 26M Total
11) XXX3- 2M Weekend, 44M Total