After smashing every single record it possibly could, It is looking to post another high box office with very little competition being thrown against it. Horror films typically drop a lot in week two, but It is holding up really well mid week. I don’t think it’ll fall too hard, as it remains a top attraction.
American Assassin isn’t getting great reviews, but it might do OK simply because it is not a horror film. Mother has to contend with being kind of a horror film, up against It. Sure, Mother is getting better reviews, but it’s a Darren Aronofsky film going wide in its first weekend. If it were me, I wouldn’t have opened this wide. I would have platformed it. I don’t think they’re going to get the opening weekend they’re expecting for Mother. They’re betting hard on Jennifer Lawrence, but the trailers aren’t doing enough to pull in mainstream audiences, and her name can really only do just so much for a film.
One thing is very likely. It will cross 200M this weekend. Can it cross 300M? Absolutely. On the other side, Annabelle: Creation is definitely going to break 100M before it leaves theatres. It’s been a really good year for horror, with those two, Split, and Get Out.
Next weekend, It will actually have a battle, as Ninjago and Kingsman both are looking to outgross it.
1) It- 55M Weekend, 215M Total
2) American Assassin- 14M Weekend, 14M Total
3) Mother!- 10M Weekend, 10M Total
4) Home Again- 5M Weekend, 16M Total
5) The Hitman’s Bodyguard- 3M Weekend, 69M Total
6) Annabelle Creation- 2.5M Weekend, 99M Total
7) Wind River- 2M Weekend, 28M Total
8) Leap!- 1.5M Weekend, 18M Total
9) Spider-Man Homecoming- 1.5M Weekend, 329M Total
10) Dunkirk- 1M Weekend, 185M Total