With the total lack of new releases the past two weeks (except for that sad Morgan Freeman/Tommy Lee Jones thing), the box office is wide open for Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi to come in and do some truly amazing work. Of course, when a film is tracking this high, it’s almost impossible to land a perfect dart. I’ve seen everything from 180M to 220M. I do think Ferdinand will open well, and that could take a small chunk away from The Last Jedi. Small though.
As far as holdovers go, with all the “awards” announcements, films like The Disaster Artist, Lady Bird, Three Billboards, and even Coco will benefit from the attention they are getting.
1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi- 200M Weekend, 200M Total
2) Ferdinand- 25M Weekend, 25M Total
3) Coco- 12M Weekend, 153M Total
4) Justice League- 5M Weekend, 220M Total
5) Wonder- 5M Weekend, 109M Total
6) The Disaster Artist- 4.5M Weekend, 14M Total
7) Thor Ragnarok- 3.5M Weekend, 307M Total
8) Daddy’s Home 2- 3.5M Weekend, 97M Total
9) Murder On The Orient Express- 3M Weekend, 98M Total
10) Lady Bird- 2.5M Weekend, 26M Total