1) Gone Girl- 23M Weekend, 74M Total
Barring any of the new releases becoming massive hits, Gone Girl should win week two. It’s buzzy enough, and Fandango says that presales for the weekend are still strong.
2) Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day- 20M Weekend, 20M Total
As the new kids film starring Steve Carell, Alexander has a lot of potential to break through. Carell is a well known quantity, the film is adapted from a classic childrens book, and is the only new wide release with a positive RT score (including The Judge).
3) The Judge- 18M Weekend, 18M Total
Mixed reviews will keep Robert Downey Jr from following in Ben Affleck’s footsteps with a major breakout drama this weekend. However, solid marketing, along with the fact that Robert Downey Jr is one of the biggest stars right now should keep The Judge afloat this weekend. Oscar bait movies with mixed reviews have a really tough time.
4) Dracula Untold- 17M Weekend, 17M Total
Dracula Untold is tracking well on Fandango, but this type of movie typically does a huge frontload on Friday and drops off on Saturday and Sunday. With a 25% on Rotten Tomatoes, I gotta believe this doesn’t have the legs to make it to 1st place, even if tracking suggests it is currently above Alexander and The Judge.
5) Annabelle- 15M Weekend, 61M Total
Horror movies typically drop over 50% in Week 2, so Annabelle will not be exempt from that. Especially with Dracula Untold drawing directly from that audience.
6) The Equalizer- 10M Weekend, 80M Total
7) The Boxtrolls- 7M Weekend, 41M Total
8) The Maze Runner- 6.5M Weekend, 83M Total
9) Addicted- 4M Weekend, 4M Total
Opening on a little more than 800 screens, Addicted will be lucky to do 4M on a crowded weekend.
10) Left Behind- 3M Weekend, 11M Total