Rotten Tomatoes recently released a list of the 50 worst Summer movies of all time. Many are films you wouldn’t think about being summer films, but were technically released during the summer. So, it’s kinda cheating. But, here’s the list below, and my thoughts (as they apply):
50) License To Wed (2007)- I mean, it wasn’t THAT bad. It just wasn’t a good movie. I probably would have given it a C or a C-, had I reviewed it. I’d have to watch it again probably. I suppose it’s a fitting start at #50.
49) In The Army Now (1994)- It was one of those films that I found funny as a kid, but I can’t stand now as an adult. Pauly Shore will do that to you. Still, it kind of has a special place in my heart for nostalgic purposes.
48) Mobsters (1991)- I honestly didn’t know this film existed.
47) Son Of The Pink Panther (1993)- Didn’t see it.
46) Solo (1996)- Another film I haven’t seen.
45) Kazaam (1996)- My only response is, if this is 45th, then good god what is below it. I mean, this should be in the bottom five. Easily.
44) A Smile Like Yours (1997)- I had forgotten this was a summer film. I never saw it, but I didn’t realize it was this bad.
43) Who’s Your Caddy (2007)- Didn’t see it. It was one of those films that you see advertised, and you just know it’s going to be awful, so you avoid it.
42) Supercross (2005)- OK, not a bright movie, but I didn’t hate it. I don’t think I’d put this in the bottom 50.
41) Paranoia (2013)- Yes, this was terrible. Good choice.
40) Babylon AD (2008)- Another one I haven’t seen, but I’m not surprised to see here.
39) The Perfect Man (2005)- I’d say this was unoffensively bad. I’m not sure I would have remembered to put this in my bottom 50. If I did, it would be in the 40’s somewhere probably.
38) Gigli (2003)- I’m surprised this isn’t lower on the list. This was awful.
37) The Last Airbender (2007)- Another terrible film.
36) A Kid In King Arthur’s Court (1995)- Oh come on. Really? I liked this as a kid. Critics are stupid. Stop ruining my childhood.
35) Til There Was You (1997)- I think I’ve seen this. It looks really familiar. I’ve probably seen it. That’s bad that I can’t remember it very well.
34) Cocktail (1988)- I was always under the assumption this was not a bad film. I stand corrected.
33) College (2008)- OK, this wasn’t that bad either. It had a few good jokes in it. It’s also below Kazaam and Gigli, which I take personal offense to.
32) Delta Farce (2007)- Well, duh.
31) Universal Soldier: The Return (1999)- Another film I don’t remember hating. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it, so I’d have to just agree with the critics and say that my taste in movies was different back then.
30) Yu-Gi-Oh! (2004)- I was never invested in this franchise, but my friends that were actually liked this movie. So, I’m sure Yu-Gi-Oh! fans don’t like seeing this film on the list.
29) The Avengers (1998)- Yeah, this was awful too. Good choice. What a way to waste a talented cast.
28) The Adventures Of Pluto Nash (2002)- I’d give this like a D+. It was one of those films that you knew was bad going into it, but I’ve definitely seen worse. And there are worse films on this list, ranked above it.
27) Vampires Suck (2010)- Yes, this deserves to be here.
26) Caddyshack II (1988)- Actually, I never saw it, but I always heard the sequel was inferior to the original. I’m a little surprised it’s here, but I’m also… not.
25) Wired (1989)- I actually had never heard of this film either. I had no idea we tried to make a John Belushi biopic at some point, and that it was awful. That sucks.
24) Gone Fishin (1997)- This was an awful film too. Solid choice for this list.
23) Problem Child (1990)- I actually like the Problem Child movies, so I’m going to have to disagree here. Sorry sports fans.
22) Cool World (1992)- I’d have to rewatch this to have a better opinion on it. It’s been a long time, but I don’t remember hating this film, or actually liking it either.
21) Material Girls (2006)- I knew it was probably awful, so I never watched it.
20) Serving Sara (2002)- Oh come on. This wasn’t that bad. Not great, but 20th? It’s below Gigli and Kazaam. Come on. It’s below Vampires Suck! What the hell guys.
19) Getting Even With Dad (1994)- The awkward Macaulay Culkin film. It wasn’t great, but it wasn’t really awful either. I’m indifferent. I definitely think it’s too low though.
18) The Apparition (2012)- Never saw it. Heard it was terrible.
17) Zoom (2006)- Always assumed it was a knockoff of Sky High, and I heard it was bad, so I skipped it.
16) Speed 2 (1997)- Good choice for this list. Terrible, unnecessary sequel.
15) Deuces Wild (2002)- Didn’t see it.
14) Feardotcom (2002)- It was pretty bad. It is lower than I expected, but I expected it to be included.
13) Bless The Child (2000)- Another terrible film.
12) Battlefield Earth (2000)- Only 12th?
11) The In Crowd (2000)- I’m going to redo this list, and this film might be #1. Just… never see this. You can’t unsee this film.
10) Getaway (2013)- A film I actually tried to review, but I hated it just so much… I actually couldn’t coherently put my thoughts together without just flowing streams of profanity. Fuck this movie.
9) Disaster Movie (2008)- Honestly, I skipped this.
8) Daddy Day Camp (2007)- Good God, yes. Good choice.
7) The Master Of Disguise (2002)- Another GREAT choice. Awful film.
6) Mac and Me (1988)- Abstain.
5) Staying Alive (1983)- Never saw it.
4) Wagons East (1994)- Wow…. I wouldn’t have put it this low.
3) Return To The Blue Lagoon (1991)- Never saw it.
2) Jaws The Revenge (1987)- Really? #2? OK…
1) Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (2004)- 0%. A film truly deserving of the #1 spot.