Mark Wahlberg’s Patriots Day is looking to make an impact over the MLKJr weekend. The question is, will it be enough to beat Hidden Figures, which is reeling from an A+ cinemascore. Patriots Day is just one of a handful of new wide releases for audiences to choose from. Live By Night, Ben Affleck’s Oscar hopeful goes wide, and Silence is also expanding into roughly 750 screens. Brand new offerings include Monster Trucks (which for some ungodly reason cost over 100M to make) and The Bye Bye Man.
The Bye Bye Man looks pretty awful, but horror films in January always find their audiences. Monster Trucks also looks pretty awful, and honestly, I don’t know who the target audience is for it. With Sing still dominating the family audiences, and Moana still an option for many, Monster Trucks is going to kick off as one of the biggest flops of 2017.
1) Patriots Day- 23M 4 Day Weekend, 24M Total
2) Hidden Figures- 22M 4 Day Weekend, 56M Total
3) Star Wars: Rogue One- 20M 4 Day Weekend, 505M Total
4) Sing- 18M 4 Day Weekend, 237M Total
5) Live By Night- 12M 4 Day Weekend, 12M Total
6) La La Land- 12M 4 Day Weekend, 71M Total
7) Monster Trucks- 10M 4 Day Weekend, 10M Total
8) The Bye Bye Man- 9M 4 Day Weekend, 9M Total
9) Underworld: Blood Wars- 7M 4 Day Weekend, 25M Total
10) Passengers- 5M 4 Day Weekend, 90M Total
11) Silence- 5M 4 Day Weekend, 6M Total