1) Captain America 2- 26.5M Weekend, 200M Total
The Captain will continue his impressive run at the box office, at least until another superhero comes swinging in to stop him in about two weeks.
2) Rio 2- 22.5M Weekend, 75.3M Total
While it couldn’t rise to first place, Rio 2 did only dip a respectable 43%.
3) Heaven Is For Real- 22M Weekend, 29.3M Total
I had a feeling that Heaven would surprise, but it beat even my expectations. Faith based movies have really done exceptional box office this year (Son of God, God’s Not Dead, Noah). I can see more studios trying to figure out how to tap into the Christian marketplace in the future.
4) Transcendence- 11M Weekend, 11M Total
Not only did it not open in 1st, or above 20M, it opened to 11M and 4th place. Embarrassing. A C+ cinemascore doesn’t bode well for the long term either.
5) A Haunted House 2- 8.8M Weekend, 8.8M Total
Technically, the film only cost 4M to make, so it might eventually break even. I can’t imagine them moving forward with a 3rd installment, however. 8.8M is not enough to get excited about a sequel.
6) Divergent- 5.9M Weekend, 134.1M Total
7) Draft Day- 5.8M Weekend, 19.5M Total
8) Oculus- 5.2M Weekend, 21.1M Total
9) God’s Not Dead- 4.8M Weekend, 48.3M Total
10) Bears- 4.8M Weekend, 4.8M Total
11) Noah- 4.8M Weekend, 93M Total