1) Guardians Of The Galaxy- 82M Weekend, 82M Total
Guardians is the top pre-selling movie of August.. ever. If you couple that with a decline in attendance, it isn’t unreasonable to predict that Guardians is going to smash some records this weekend. I’m predicting a huge opening for Guardians. The top opening EVER was 69M, so 82M would smash it into the ground.
2) Lucy- 18M Weekend, 80M Total
Lucy didn’t have a great cinemascore, so a heavy 60% drop to 18M is likely. Plus, Guardians is going to draw a lot of the action business away.
3) Get On Up- 16M Weekend, 16M Total
It has good reviews. It’s good counterprogramming. A decent marketing push. Chadwick Boseman is not a bankable star, but “From The Director Of The Help”…helps.
4) Hercules- 14M Weekend, 56M Total
Hercules will dip like 50%ish this weekend. It had a B+ cinemascore, better than Lucy, but still…Guardians.
5) Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes- 8M Weekend, 189M Total
6) Planes 2- 5.5M Weekend, 46M Total
7) The Purge: Anarchy- 4.5M Weekend, 62M Total
8) Sex Tape- 3M Weekend, 33M Total
9) Transformers 4- 3M Weekend, 242M Total
10) And So It Goes- 2.5M Weekend, 9.5M Total