I do expect that the (surprisingly) well reviewed Spongebob Squarepants sequel will reach the top slot at the box office. Yes, there are other kids films in the marketplace, but Spongebob is a big franchise, and the name recognition will help. Jupiter Ascending got pushed out of the summer, which is not a good sign, and looks confusing. Channing Tatum can only help just so much when the reviews aren’t good. And Seventh Son? I still haven’t seen a preview for it.
The first Spongebob opened to 32M, with cheaper ticket prices, and not “out of water”. It’s not a complete leap of faith to think the sequel can still get 30M, even if it is 10 years later. Seventh Son has just been pushed back too many times to take the film seriously. The 6% on Rotten Tomatoes just confirms what we long suspected.
1) Spongebob Squarepants 2- 30M Weekend, 30M Total
2) American Sniper- 23M Weekend, 282M Total
3) Jupiter Ascending- 18M Weekend, 18M Total
4) Seventh Son- 8M Weekend, 8M Total
5) Paddington- 5M Weekend, 57M total
6) Project Almanac- 4M Weekend, 15M Total
7) The Imitation Game- 4M Weekend, 74M Total
8) Black Or White- 3.5M Weekend, 12M Total
9) The Boy Next Door- 3M Weekend, 30M Total
10) The Wedding Ringer- 3M Weekend, 54M Total