This weekend, The Rock should have no problem claiming a first place victory against a set of 6 films that aim to gross between 10-20M this weekend. Most people will sign up for the disaster flick, which has gotten mixed reviews, but not the controversy that Aloha is facing. Aloha has racial controversy, which could steer some audiences away, on top of the fact that the film has not been reviewed by critics. That’s unusual, considering it’s a Cameron Crowe film… and totally the kind of film critics would probably enjoy… if it was good.
Tomorrowland’s bad buzz (remember, the sky was falling last weekend) will make people think twice about seeing it in week 2, and it’ll lose more ground than really deserved. That will allow Pitch Perfect 2 to maintain a 2nd place spot. Mad Max will continue to attract audiences with its glowing reviews, and Avengers is getting solid repeat business. Poltergeist is likely to drop at least half, if not more.
Next weekend, Spy aims for #1, followed by Insidious Chapter 3 and Entourage. Right now, Spy is tracking for a 35-45M opening weekend, Insidious could get 15-20M, and Entourage is aiming for 12-15M.
In other box office news, Furious 7 is currently the 4th highest grossing film worldwide of all time, behind only The Avengers, Titanic, and Avatar. In 6th place is Avengers: Age Of Ultron, so it’s been a pretty fantastic year at the box office so far when two films are still breaking records.
1) San Andreas- 40M Weekend, 40M Total
2) Pitch Perfect 2- 19M Weekend, 151M Total
3) Tomorrowland- 18M Weekend, 68M Total
4) Mad Max: Fury Road- 16M Weekend, 116M Total
5) Avengers: Age Of Ultron- 15M Weekend, 430M Total
6) Aloha- 13M Weekend, 13M Total
7) Poltergeist- 11M Weekend, 42M Total
8) Hot Pursuit- 2M Weekend, 33M Total
9) Far From The Madding Crowd- 2M Weekend, 9M Total
10) Furious 7- 1.5M Weekend, 350M Total