No Valentines Weekend means less money available to the films at the box office. Plus, Deadpool’s total dominance, coupled with the lack of star power in the three new releases, and this could be a very sad week.
Joseph Fiennes stars in Risen, and as we all know, Joseph Fiennes is a matinee idol and one of the biggest stars on the planet. He’s gotten his film in 2,912 screens on Friday, despite that whole first line being complete bullshit. The target audience here are Christians, who don’t always show up, but when they do it can mean huge business. Risen is hoping for the latter, obviously. It should do OK.
Race is hoping it is 42. It’s not 42. The advertising hasn’t been there, nor have the reviews (only 62% on Rotten Tomatoes). Jason Sudekis also is not Harrison Ford, and has a harder time drawing, especially in a drama. The Witch has no known actors in the film, and is trying to just “be scary”. The reviews are strong, but I wonder how many people are really excited for this? It could explode this weekend on word of mouth, but it would need to do it fast. Thursday previews will be very telling.
1) Deadpool- 60M Weekend, 240M Total
2) Kung Fu Panda- 12M weekend, 118M Total
3) Risen- 10M Weekend, 10M Total
4) How To Be Single- 9M Weekend, 33M Total
5) Race- 8M Weekend, 8M Total
6) The Witch- 7M Weekend, 7M Total
7) Zoolander 2- 6M Weekend, 24M Total
8) The Revenant- 4M Weekend, 165M Total
9) Star Wars: The Force Awakens- 4M Weekend, 922M Total
10) Hail Caesar!- 3.5M Weekend, 27M Total