1) Guardians Of The Galaxy- 43M Weekend,184M Total
Guardians and Ninja Turtles are in a neck-and-neck race this weekend. If Ninja Turtles overperforms, or if Guardians drops too hard, they could switch places. I’m predicting Guardians drops about 50%. It has been doing exceptional mid-week business, and that can’t be ignored.
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- 39M Weekend, 39M Total
TMNT is losing out on some prime screen space this weekend to Guardians, as well as Into The Storm, which needs large screen formats. Still, it’s a family pic, a franchise film, and a well-advertised one at that. Reviews haven’t been great, but was anyone expecting them to be?
3) Into The Storm- 25M Weekend, 25M Total
After a strong marketing campaign, I’m predicting that Into The Storm will overperform this weekend. It has no stars, but that often works well with “found footage” type movies. With Into The Storm sharing large screen formats with Guardians, it will also benefit from higher ticket prices.
4) The Hundred Foot Journey- 13M Weekend, 13M Total
With OK reviews, Helen Mirren’s latest will perform about the same as Get On Up and Jersey Boys managed to perform.
5) Lucy- 8.5M Weekend, 98M Total
Lucy inches closer to 100M this weekend. Another 50% drop is in store though.
6) Get On Up- 8M Weekend, 27M Total
With an A cinemascore, Get On Up should hold well. Should.
7) Step Up All In- 7M Weekend, 7M Total
There isn’t much of a demand anymore for these types of films. Hardcore fans will show up, but will anyone else?
8) Hercules- 6M Weekend, 64M Total
9) Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes- 5M Weekend, 199M Total
10) Planes 2- 4M Weekend, 55M Total