1) Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1- 140M Weekend, 140M Total
Catching Fire opened to 158M last year, but Mockingjay doesn’t quite have the same reviews. Also, Hunger Games had almost no competition. Thor was in 2nd place with 14M. This year, it’s a little different.
2) Big Hero 6- 20M Weekend, 136M Total
Big Hero 6 will likely face a harder drop this weekend, but I still don’t think it’ll be enough to drop 50%. It’s the only “kids film” in the marketplace until next week, and audiences have been giving this great word of mouth.
3) Interstellar- 16M Weekend, 122M Total
Interstellar also holds up nicely, and actually becomes the #1 film during the midweek period. Word of mouth could keep Interstellar in 3rd place this week.
4) Dumb and Dumber To- 15M Weekend, 59M Total
Dumb and Dumber To will see the harshest drop of last weeks top 3. Audiences gave it only a B- cinemascore, suggesting word of mouth might not be very strong. Hunger Games will chop into its audience by over half.
5) Gone Girl- 3.5M Weekend, 157M Total
6) Beyond The Lights- 3M Weekend, 10M Total
7) St Vincent- 2.5M Weekend, 36M Total
8) Fury- 2.5M Weekend, 80M Total
9) Birdman- 2.0M Weekend, 15M Total
10) The Theory Of Everything- 1.5M Weekend, 3M Total