Star Wars has been setting amazing records each day its been out. It’s actually projected to be the fastest movie to 500M, which it aims to hit by Sunday. It won’t have nearly the gross on Christmas Eve, as most theatres close early so its losing an entire showtime set of grosses worldwide. Plus, Christmas Eve is a traditionally slower day for films than the rest of the week. But, if it can get the rumored 130-150M that people can’t agree on this weekend, it should easily break 500M. Honestly, Star Wars is new territory for all box office predictors, and since it is now setting the new bar, we just have to sit back and see what happens.
We can predict the five new openers (and one limited going wide) that are looking to hit the top 10. Since most of the holdovers are losing their screens, these newcomers will be able to impact in different ways. Daddy’s Home is using Anchorman 2 as a comparable debut, which means 25M, and should give it the top debut of the newcomers. It will probably only hurt Sisters, but that low cinemascore will hurt it likely even more. This coming week will push another film closer to the promised land. Creed is close to breaking 100M, a feat that The Good Dinosaur just got on Wednesday. By New Years Day, the film likely should be at 100M, if not really close.
1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens- 140M Weekend, 520M Total
2) Daddy’s Home- 25M Weekend, 25M Total
3) Joy- 20M Weekend, 20M Total
4) Point Break- 16M Weekend, 16M Total
5) Concussion- 13M Weekend, 13M Total
6) The Big Short- 10M Weekend, 15M Total
7) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip- 10M Weekend, 37M Total
8) Sisters- 7M Weekend, 30M Total
9) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt 2- 3M Weekend, 262M Total
10) Creed- 3M Weekend, 95M Total
11) The Hateful Eight- 3M Weekend, 3M Total