Here are my snap judgements in relation to FOX’s Upfront Presentation today.
1) American Idol is being reduced to about 37 hours next season, down from 60. They are killing the “results show”. Kevin Reilly still believes American Idol will be on the air for years to come.
2) Sleepy Hollow’s 2nd season is 18 episodes long.
3) Gotham’s 1st season is 16 episodes long. Why less than Sleepy Hollow? Although, new shows traditionally only get a 13 episode order, so it already has 3 extra episodes without ever premiering.
4) There are plans to trim Glee’s order back from 22 episodes, since the show is being held until midseason. They could just keep it at 22 and run it through the summer… but I digress…
5) Gracepoint will have a different ending than Broadchurch. So just because you saw Broadchurch doesn’t mean you know Gracepoint.
6) Utopia will run two nights a week. That is… at least until FOX realizes its a massive flop and cancels it.
7) Brooklyn Nine Nine and Mulaney will premiere on FOX Sunday. Live action comedies on FOX Sunday? That hasn’t worked since… Malcolm In The Middle?
8) Backstrom, Empire, Hieroglyph, The Last Man On Earth, Bordertown, Weird Loners, Glee, The Following, and American Idol are being held for midseason (or until Utopia is cancelled).
And over at NBC…
1) Since Jane Krakowski’s FOX pilot Dead Boss was passed on, she’s joined the cast of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, produced by Tina Fey, and starring Ellie Kemper.