Tim Burton vs Mark Wahlberg. It’s looking like Miss Peregrine will edge out Deepwater Horizon. There really isn’t a comparison for Peregrine, though you might compare it Corpse Bride, which made 19.1M on opening weekend, onto a 53M final. Considering Peregrine cost 110M, I know they’re hoping for more than that. If we allowed for some inflation, that puts Peregrine’s in line for a mid-20’s debut.
Deepwater Horizon is going to do well. In many ways, Sully is a comp as a true life story, but it’s not the only true life story to do well in September. Black Mass, Remember The Titans, and Moneyball. Mark Wahlberg is a pretty consistent opener above 20M. With some exceptions (The Gambler being one), he’s a solid bet. So, Deepwater Horizon is likely to hit at least 20M.
Masterminds is a long delayed comedy starring Zach Galafanakis, Owen Wilson, and Kristin Wiig. Don’t expect much.
1) Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children- 23M Weekend, 23M Total
2) Deepwater Horizon- 20M Weekend, 20M Total
3) The Magnificent Seven- 17M Weekend, 65M Total
4) Storks- 13M Weekend, 39M Total
5) Masterminds- 9M Weekend, 9M Total
6) Sully- 9M Weekend, 106M Total
7) Queen Of Katwe- 3.5M Weekend, 4M Total
8) Bridget Jones’s Baby- 2.5M Weekend, 21M Total
9) Snowden- 2M Weekend, 19M Total
10) Blair Witch- 2M Weekend, 20M Total