Two new wide releases battle for prominence at the box office. One of them is getting rave reviews (Logan Lucky) and the other not so much (The Hitman’s Bodyguard). However, I’m reminded of a few years back at about this same time when the critics also didn’t like We’re The Millers which became an unexpected comedy hit. I think more people are going to check out Bodyguard despite the reviews, simply because the trailers for the film have done a good job selling them on the film. Both films have to battle the second weekend of Annabelle: Creation, which is a bit of a wild card in itself. Yes, it opened well, and it has good reviews, but horror films often tumble in their second weekend. The question for Annabelle: Creation is, does it have legs?
For Logan Lucky, the crime comedy does have a few well-known actors that audiences pay money to see in Channing Tatum and Daniel Craig. However, this quirky comedy doesn’t quite seem to have the immediate broad appeal that Hitman’s Bodyguard does, and that one features Deadpool and Nick Cage as opposed to James Bond and the artist formerly known as Gambit. Not to be counted out completely, Wind River is expanding into enough screens that a top 10 placement is not out of the cards if it does well.
Next weekend, studios have basically just given up. The biggest release is Leap!, which opens against Birth Of The Dragon. There’s also a Christian title, All Saints, opening and those either completely tank, or wildly explode past expectations. We shall see. The following weekend, there are no new wide releases. That’s right. There are no new films scheduled for wide release over Labor Day weekend. However, It opens the week after, and it’s currently tracking as high as 60M on a usually impossible weekend.
1) The Hitman’s Bodyguard- 18M Weekend, 18M Total
2) Annabelle Creation- 15M Weekend, 63M Total
3) Logan Lucky- 12M Weekend, 12M Total
4) Dunkirk- 7M Weekend, 165M Total
5) The Nut Job 2- 4.5M Weekend, 17M Total
6) Girls Trip- 4M Weekend, 104M Total
7) Spider-Man Homecoming- 4M Weekend, 314M Total
8) The Dark Tower- 3.5M Weekend, 41M Total
9) The Emoji Movie- 3.5M Weekend, 71M Total
10) Kidnap- 2.5M Weekend, 24M Total
11) The Glass Castle- 2.5M Weekend, 9M Total
12) Atomic Blonde- 2.5M Weekend, 47M Total
13) Wind River- 2M Weekend, 3M Total
14) War For The Planet Of The Apes- 2M Weekend, 141M Total
15) Despicable Me 3- 1.5M Weekend, 251M Total